Friday, March 30, 2007

Completed #2 - Take off now for a spur-of-the-moment vacation

Travel is my weakness, it always have been and it always will be. People laugh when I tell them how much money I want to save for retirement but then I tell them that I intend to travel about 360 days/year once I can so I'll need funds for that.

Ever since I got my license I've been known to just start driving. Pick a direction and go. It's harder to do that now that I don't have a car, but these days I pick a flight and go. Recent last minute trips include: Boston, New York City and Miami.

I'm moving to Portland, OR soon and I'm looking forward to exploring the North West USA since I've spent no time there. If you have road trip suggestions in that area, please let me know!

Where are your favorite places for a weekend getaway?

One of my favorite trips was when I was about 19. I was stressed out at work and had a 5-day weekend so I decided to hit the road. Didn't tell anyone, just went. I was living in Indiana at the time and I headed east towards water (water is my center). About 8 hours into driving I figured I should call my mom and let her know I wouldn't be home for a few days. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Hey mom
Her: Hey, where are you?
M: Somewhere in New York
H: Huh?
M: Yeah, I needed to get away for a few days
H: Ok. (long pause) So where are you going?
M: Not sure. Wherever I stop.
H: Ok. (long pause) Well, call me if you need anything.
M: Ok. I'll see you on Wednesday. Bye
H: Bye *click*

I ended up heading to Boston because there was a guy there that I wanted to see. I spent several days with him and his family (more time with his family than him since he had to work), explored Boston and New Hampshire, walked around the Harvard campus, had a picnic in Boston Common, made out on the beach while watching the sunrise and had an all-around wonderful time.

Original Post

No comments: